Polyus PJSC (MOEX: PLZL) ("the Company", together with the Company’s subsidiaries — "the group"), the largest gold miner in Russia, announces its statement on TSF (tailings storage facilities) safety.
The safe management of TSF is an essential part of Polyus’ operations and one of the priorities for the Company’s management. The document was approved by the Board of Directors of Polyus PJSC and includes the following commitments:
- The Company strives to ensure the integrity and safety of TSF for the people and environment during the assets’ life cycle.
- Polyus adheres to a strategic approach to TSF management and mitigates risks associated with their operation.
- The Company constantly monitors the safety status of its TSF, including through in-house operational and environmental control, as well as control by state supervision bodies and independent expert review organizations.
- Polyus aligns with national legislation requirements related to its operations and complies with the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management.
- Every year, the Company develops emergency response and preparedness plans for all its TSF and trains its employees to ensure their capabilities to react properly in an emergency.
- Polyus continuously enhances the transparency of TSF management by regularly disclosing related information. In addition, Polyus was the first Russian mining company to publish a Report on Tailings Storage Facilities in 2022.
There are currently no major incidents at Polyus’ TSF that involve a negative impact on people’s life, health and the environment. In addition, there are no settlements or critical social and economic infrastructure facilities within the potentially hazardous areas of Polyus’ operations.
Polyus’ hydraulic structures safety and management monitoring system won second place in the MineDigital category (solutions for digital transformation of enterprises) at the MINEXcellence competition at the Russian Minex 2023 forum.
Daria Grigoreva, Sustainability Director at Polyus, commented:
Polyus has been improving TSF safety for several years. In 2019-2020, we contributed to the development of the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management and consistently implement it across the Company’s assets.
In 2023, Polyus was the first company in Russia to introduce a TSF automated monitoring and management system, which reduces the likelihood of incidents and makes it possible to track in real-time, forecast and eliminate TSF-safety risks.
By publishing the statement, Polyus confirms its commitment to focusing on TSF safety.
Polyus’ TSF Safety Statement can be viewed in full by following this link.
Polyus is the world’s fourth-largest gold mining company by production volumes and the largest gold miner in terms of attributable gold ore reserves. The Company demonstrates the lowest production costs among major global gold producers. Its principal operations are located in Siberia and the Russian Far East: Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk and Magadan regions and the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia).
Forward looking statement
This announcement may contain "forward-looking statements" concerning Polyus and/or Polyus Group. Generally, the words "will", "may", "should", "could", "would", "can", "continue", "opportunity", "believes", "expects", "intends", "anticipates", "estimates" or similar expressions identify forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements include statements relating to future capital expenditures and business and management strategies and the expansion and growth of Polyus’ and/or Polyus Group’s operations. Many of these risks and uncertainties relate to factors that are beyond Polyus’ and/or Polyus Group’s ability to control or estimate precisely and therefore undue reliance should not be placed on such statements which speak only as of the date of this announcement. Polyus and/or any Polyus Company assumes no obligation in respect of, and does not intend to update, these forward-looking statements, except as required pursuant to applicable law.