Polyus Research Center was established in Krasnoyarsk in 2004 to provide Polyus companies with research and development support and assistance across the entire gold mining cycle, from exploration to processing. ISO 9001:2015 certified, the Research Center conducts complex research activities, develops new technologies and optimizes existing ones aimed at enhancing gold recovery and reducing costs.
- The Mineralogy Laboratory performs complex geological and mineralogical assays of the feed and processed products to support exploration, prospecting, geotechnical and processing operations.
- The Geomechanics Laboratory develops technologies for mining, engineering, geological and construction operations. It studies and analyzes the physics and mechanics of rocks as well as pit wall and bench stability.
- The Processing Laboratory is involved in developing new and streamlining existing processing technologies, researching new initiatives and equipment, and providing analytical support to Polyus operations.
The laboratory provides a variety of assays to support geological and mineral mapping and also tests processing technologies for new mining projects. State-of-the-art equipment helps to deliver the entire range of assays for crushing, screening, classification, gravity, flotation, thickening and other processing technologies. The results of these assays are used to calculate processing flowsheets and develop process regulations.Learn more
- The Biotechnology Laboratory runs complex testwork and research to develop and streamline bio-oxidation processes. The lab studies and investigates various microorganism associations to address production tasks related to the bio-oxidation of gold-bearing ore and concentrates as well as reclaim water biotreatment.
- The Hydromet Laboratory is engaged in developing technologies for the complex processing of ore using heap leaching, pre-cyanidation, CIL, desorption and electrowinning.
It focuses on the development of new and the optimization of existing technologies to facilitate recovery from refractory gold-containing materials, intensify recovery and reduce reagent consumption. The lab also tests technologies for processing antimony-rich concentrates to produce cathode antimony ingots. It investigates new advanced sorbents, reagents for filtration, thickening and froth suppression, filtration materials and the introduction of new materials to the production cycle. It also tests alternative non-cyanide leaching agents and investigates and optimizes tailings treatment technologies to mitigate environmental risks.Learn more
- The Pyrometallurgy Laboratory investigates the metallurgy of gold to ensure that doré gold meets the refinery condition. It also audits mills and refineries and makes process calculations and justifications needed for the modernization of roasting and smelting equipment and furnaces.
- The Mineral Assay Laboratory focuses on assaying grades in non-ferrous and precious metals as well as other components in rocks, treated material, gold-containing ion exchange resins and activated carbon, doré gold and process solutions.
It analyzes grades using fire assay, atomic absorption and atomic emission methods, mass spectrometers, X-rays, spectrophotometric, gravimetric and titration tests as well as infrared spectrometry and capillary electrophoresis. The laboratory is GOST ISO/IEC 17025-2019 certified as a testing lab by Analytika accreditation center.Learn more
- The Pilot Tests Laboratory performs high-level lab tests at a full-circle pilot processing plant. The pilot testing stage, introduced to support the lab stage, makes it possible to simulate production processes more accurately and reduce the risks associated with calculating planned targets for newly designed mills and deposits as well as forecast the impact of process variations on existing production facilities.