The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to 2030 (SDGs), adopted following the 2015 UN General Assembly,represent an important unified effort to address social, environmental and economic issues to achieve global sustainable development and a better future.
We believe that, like every major organisation, we have a role to play in supporting the SDGs through our everyday operations as well as corporate sustainability programmes that go above and beyond, to lead by example in its industry and market.
The mining industry has its own specific impact on the environment around it. When managed properly, miners can bring investment and infrastructure to remote regions, create jobs and drive innovation, however the physical nature of the activity carries many challenges relating to preservation of the environment and the safety and well being of people.
While recognising the importance of all 17 of the UN’s SDGs, Polyus believes that as a company it can make the greatest positive contribution to those SDGs that are most impacted by its operations. For this reason, we prioritise eight goals.
Polyus’ priority SDGs, and their Integration into its core business:
Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages
- Rigorous workplace health and safety monitoring and reporting
- Provision of healthcare services to the Company’s employees
Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Provision of learning opportunities for employees
- Cooperation with colleges and universities
- Apprenticeship/graduate programmes
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Undertaking energy audits and improving our energy efficiency
- Developing energy infrastructure in the remote regions of Russia
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Generation of employment and local economic opportunities
- Ensuring a decent working environment
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation
- Developing infrastructure facilities in regions of operation under social partnership programmes with regional authorities
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Increasing efficient use of natural resources
- Working with responsible suppliers of goods and services
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions through gradual transition to renewable energy sources
- Improving energy efficiency
Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable developments
- Supporting sustainability initiatives promoted by Russian and international industry organisations
- Fostering cooperation with peers
- Building mutually beneficial relations with local authorities